Records of Ancyronyx species from Mindoro
The data in this occurrence resource has been published as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A), which is a standardized format for sharing biodiversity data as a set of one or more data tables. The core data table contains 531 records.
This IPT archives the data and thus serves as the data repository. The data and resource metadata are available for download in the downloads section. The versions table lists other versions of the resource that have been made publicly available and allows tracking changes made to the resource over time.
Download the latest version of this resource data as a Darwin Core Archive (DwC-A) or the resource metadata as EML or RTF:
The table below shows only published versions of the resource that are publicly accessible.
How to cite
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Freitag H (2013) Ancyronyx Erichson, 1847 (Coleoptera, Elmidae) from Mindoro, Philippines, with description of the larvae and two new species using DNA sequences for the assignment of the developmental stages. Zookeys XXXX: YYY-YYY
Ancyronyx; Spider Water Beetles; Elmidae; distribution; record; new species; larva; Mindoro; Philippines
Who created the resource:
Who can answer questions about the resource:
Who filled in the metadata:
Island of Mindoro, Philippines
|Bounding Coordinates||South West [12.12, 120.25], North East [13.53, 121.6]|
Larval and adult stages of four species of Ancyronyx
|Genus||Ancyronyx (Spider Water Beetles)|
|Start Date / End Date||1992-11-21 / 2013-04-04|
No Description available
|Title||Survey and Evaluation of Rural Landscape Biodiversity of Roxas, Oriental Mindoro, with Identification and Scientific Description of Taxa New to Science, Identification of Priority Areas for Conservation|
|Funding||Commission on Higher Education (Philippines), PHERNet program; Ateneo de Manila University Loyola Schools Scholarly Work Grant|
|Study Area Description||Main focus: Baroc River Catchment, San Vicente, Roxas, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines|
|Design Description||The Baroc River Catchment Survey of the Ateneo de Manila University focuses on the Key Biodiversity Area “Hinunduang Mt.”, classified as a terrestrial and inland water area of very high biological importance and extremely high critical conservation priority, under high socioeconomic pressure, which is, however, only subjected to moderate conservation efforts and not yet formally protected. Recent project collections and previously collected specimens from Mindoro were included in the study. They are partly from other conservation and research priority areas of high and highest urgency (“Naujan Lake National Park” and “Puerto Galera.”).|
The personnel involved in the project:
All specimens were collected from submerged substrates by the use of a hand-net or manually gathered from coarse particulate organic matter. Letter codes in parenthesis refer to a particular sampling station and microhabitat of the Baroc River Catchment. Number codes are arbitrary.
|Study Extent||The sampling of all study sites within the main area in focus (Baroc River Catchment, Roxas) was replicated for at least four times between 2011 and 2013, covering both, dry and rainy seasons. All other collection sites were surveyed once by different collectors, except for the Tamaraw Falls, Puerto Galera (one replicate).|
Method step description:
- The material was preserved in 95% ethyl alcohol to allow genetic sequencing. Most material was retrieved during the ongoing Baroc River Catchment Survey. Material collections from the 1990s were examined at the Natural History Museum Vienna, Austria (NMW), the Senckenberg Museum für Tierkunde Dresden, Germany (SMTD), and the Zoological Museum of the University Copenhagen, Denmark (ZMUC).
|Collection Identifier||see acronym|
|Parent Collection Identifier||several|
|Specimen preservation methods||Pinned|
|Curatorial Units||Count 350 +/- 100 specimens (larvae and adults)|
- Freitag H, Balke M (2011) Larvae and a new species of Ancyronyx Erichson, 1847 (Insecta, Coleoptera, Elmidae) from Palawan, Philippines, using DNA sequences for the assignment of the developmental stages. ZooKeys 136: 47–82. http://dx.doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.136.1914
- Freitag H, Jäch MA (2007) The genus Ancyronyx Erichson, 1847 (Coleoptera, Elmidae) in Palawan and Busuanga, (Philippines) with description of six new species. Zootaxa 1590: 37–59. http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2007f/z01590p059f.pdf
- Freitag H, Pangantihon C (2010) Aquatic Coleoptera and Heteroptera of the Lake Naujan National Park, Mindoro Oriental, the Philippines. Philippine Scientist 47: 126–173. http://www.philjol.info/philjol/index.php/PSCI/article/view/2424
- Jäch MA (1994) A taxonomic review of the Oriental species of the genus Ancyronyx Erichson, 1847 (Coleoptera, Elmidae). Revue suisse de Zoologie 101 (3): 601–622. http://biostor.org/reference/115102